Tuesday 22 November 2011

Judas


So I took a look, semiotically, at the music video for Lady Gaga's 'Judas'. I think that there is a lot in this video that is symbolic because it refers back to the story of Judas, one of Jesus' Disciples who betrayed him. I don't think I know anyone around me who doesn't know that story. I don't the story as well as I would have when I was younger but I do vaguely remember it.

In the video, all the bikers have the names of the disciples on their leather jackets and you wouldn't know that unless you knew the bible. Jesus also has a crown of thorns on his head Judas is always by his side. In the film, Gaga is wearing a blue hooded outfit and also in the video she washes Jesus's feet. These things are indexical because it refers back to Mary Magdalene who washed Jesus' feet and also wore blue, much like Jesus' mother Mary who is often depicted in a blue gown. You wouldn't know this if it wasn't your culture to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment