Tuesday 8 November 2011

Japanese Subculture and Fashion

As you're probably aware, I'm not new to Japanese subculture, streetstyle and fashion. However, it was interesting to hear a little of the backstory to why the Japanese like to adopt similar fashions to Europeans, with their own twist.
I was always a little bit curious about why they wanted to ignore their fashion traditions but then I realised that the occupation by the Americans in the second world war could have something to do with it. The excert soon confirmed it.
In our lesson we did discuss the ways in which fashion has changed our culture and this would be a perfect example of how a whole nation can be changed just because of the cultures of another or even just the dress.
For instance, women in Japan have always, tradtionally, been quite reserved because it wasn't acceptable to be flamboyant if you wanted to be respected. However, when American ('western') fashions were adopted, women became louder, more talkative and even rude. When I was in Japan about 3 years ago, I met a lovely Japanese man in a Yakitori joint in Tokyo and we were talking about how people used to say Gaijin girls (foreigner girls) were always so loud and unreserved compared to Japanese girls but now, all the girls in Harajuku and Shibuya are crazy loud and outgoing.

Anyway, needless to say there are a lot of different subcultures and fashion styles in Japan but for me to go through all the ones I know would take a LONG time.... so I will try as I can to spread them out over a couple blog posts. :D

1 comment:

  1. Its really interesting reading your blog because, like you said about your brothers interest in graffiti, your enthusiasm towards fashion and the different elements of it rubs off on me. Japanese Subcultures and Fashion has always been something I've found fascinating so I'm particularly interested in the posts in your blog that reference this and intend to keep checking in with what you have to say!

    ReplyDelete