Tuesday 15 November 2011

Stupid Girls


I love this video but not because I support being something you're not. Now I thought that looking at this video semiotically would be easy but actually, it's kinda hard!!
I guess for the most part this video has a lot of indexical imagery. I don't think many people in like Papa New Guinea know what a Beverly Hills or 90210 girl is so WE get the reference to purging, tanning and tiny dogs etc because we are exposed to it so much in the UK and America.
I think thats why you get fashion like Gyaru because I don't think the Japanese really understand the reference like we do.
The devil and angel on the little girls shoulder I think could be symbolic but also indexical because I think it might be a very western reference to your bad and good conscience. So you would only understand it if you understood the reference.
Also you know that when she is standing in front of the American flag that she is a politician (the president of the united states). This would only be understood by people who have been exposed to pictures of the american presidents. 

Like I said at the beginning, this is hard, but I think, for the most part, this video is indexical because this wouldn't mean anything if you weren't privy to the knowledge needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment