Tuesday 11 October 2011

Controversies


So I was asked to read two things in my last session of Creative Histories and Industries; 'A Legal and Ethical History of Photography Press Release' and an Interview with Sally Mann.


A Legal And Ethical History of Photography
I have to admit, I'm not really a photography buff of any kind but I don't mind reading stuff that is interesting. This press release opened my eyes to all the thought that has to go into taking a photograph so that it won't get you sent to court! I am also glad that some people still are risk takers and don't take the law into consideration when they produce a body of work that is controversial.

I won't lie, this document was VERY difficult to read because, and not to sound stupid, there were a LOT of 'long words' in this press release and also it was in quite a constant chunk. I debated with myself whether to re-write this for myself so that I could understand it better because I did struggle reading this.
However, I managed to get the gist of it soon enough but it took me a couple of days of reading through it.

Needless to say, it is hard to say what I think of this piece because I don't know anything about photography passed point and click, however it was an interesting read about how something as simple as a picture can be read into so much that it causes such a scandal!


Sally Mann Interview
I did like the interview a lot more although I struggle a bit with the topic of death myself. The layout was a lot easier to cope with. It wasn't too long, the words made sense to me and it was laid out, like most interviews, like a conversation which made it flow a lot better.

It is always interesting to pick an artists brain about their inspiration but also about their experiences and about their work. I like how her images are very simple really but evoke extreme emotion and outrage. She seems to like nudity a lot too which I guess a lot of artists do because it's a good way to see someone just as they are, without them hiding behind clothes that change them.


No comments:

Post a Comment